Sunday, February 20, 2011

Baked potato bread

It's like a baked potato sandwich!
Well, the other day, I was looking for something like potato bread, but wanted a bit more than the normal bread (I love potato bread). Google helped me out marvellously! A quick search turned up a question someone asked ("Is potato bread vegan?"), so I went and looked, and saw that one of my favorite bread recipe sites had a recipe that called for bacon... hmmm... bacon, potato bread, all combined into one delicious loaf? I must try this Baked Potato Bread!


So, on the next grocery run, we picked up sour cream, chives, already had some good bacon, and then when I had the opportunity, I got baking...

This bread is basically a standard potato bread, just substituting some sour cream for some of the liquid, then adding bacon, chives, pretty much any of topping for baked potatoes could work. Let it rise for a while.
I decided I wanted to do two different styles of bread; a standard loaf,
and what's called a "boule" (I think). Not having a proper banneton to mold the bread in, I improvised with a wicker basket and a tea-towel
And here are the loaves after baking, driving me crazy with their wonderful smell. The picture up at the top shows the boule sliced open, and I went through about half the loaf when it was cooled down enough to eat. When my honey got home, tired and hungry after a long day at work, I gave her a slice, and it was amazing to watch her perking up as she ate it.
A couple of lessons from this bake.
  • This recipe really only makes enough dough for one loaf.
  • I really love potato bread, in all its varieties, it seems.





2 comments:

  1. I've never had potato bread before. I think I am going to have to try this. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, a basic potato bread is quite nice and very simple. Here's the potato bread recipe I used before, it turned out very well http://allrecipes.com/recipe/potato-bread-iii/

    ReplyDelete