Sunday, February 27, 2011

Let them eat Brioche!

This weeks bread in BBA is Brioche, very rich, and lots of butter (yes, I know I already said that, but it bears repeating). Peter Reinhart provides three different formulations, Rich man's, Middle Class, and Poor man's brioche. From a quick perusal of the recipes (which I don't have nearby right now) the only difference is the amount of butter involved. 1/2 cup for the poor man's, 1 cup for the middle, and two cups for the Rich Man's brioche.

I started off deciding to try something different. Another cookbook I have (100 great breads by Paul Hollywood) has a recipe for Apricot Brioche, so I asked Kenora to pick up some dried apricots on the way home and we set out to make Brioche.

After following the BBA recipes for a couple of weeks, with nice exact measurements (so many grams) it felt awkward to go back to using a rough measurement ("2½ scant cups").
Despite some issues with the recipe (I don't think it's possible to get the yield the book talks about), and overbaking it slightly (that isn't a light golden brown in the picture) this turned out so nicely! I had to try the BBA brioche.

We decided to do the Poor Man's brioche; it mixed up a lot easier than the dough yesterday did, and seemed to rise more evenly.




The problem I had was:  what style of bread do I want to make?
The classic brioche (to the left)? A normal loaf (below left)? Or mini-brioches (below right)?

Well, as those who know me can attest, my answer when faced with a decision like this is... "embrace the power of And" ... so, soon I had 10 loaves of Brioche baking (all from one batch of dough)
The things these pictures can't get across are
  • the smell of the brioche baking; I swear I gained a few pounds just breathing the air while these little beauties were in the oven
  • How greasy the dough actually was; in total, it weighed less than two pounds, but it was about 25% butter
  • How light and flaky the finished bread was; I had a couple of slices of apricot brioche for breakfast this morning, toasted, with butter (yes, MORE BUTTER) and oh, it was heavenly!
Here's the collection of breads from this afternoon's baking session... anyone know how to slice the classic Brioche? [Apart from using a knife you wiseguys and wisegals:) ]

Next week is Casatiello, then Challah (which I might skip) then a Ciabatta.

2 comments:

  1. Well done! I have yet to make brioche mysekf but you are insping me. I can not imagine using two cups of butter. Even the poor man's version us enough butter for the dough to have a tendency to darken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha glad you didn't call to offer D a piece lol. Though he's the only one who can eat and not be worried! lol It looks like a small piece would be enough.

    ReplyDelete