Monday, May 9, 2011

Review: Tomato paste in a tube

I recently purchased a tube of double-concentrated tomato paste and it has earned its place in my pantry.  Why, do you ask?

How many times have you opened a 5.5oz tin of tomato paste only to use a tablespoon or two, then ended up finding the rest in the back of the fridge a few months later?  I think we all have had this experience.  Tube tomato paste changes that.

I needed 2 teaspoons of tomato paste in a recipe last night, and I could just get the tube, squeeze out what I needed, put the tube back in the fridge, and go on with cooking. No muss, no fuss, no waste!

Anytime I need more than half of the tin of tomato paste, I'll still open a tin, but for a teaspoon or tablespoon, the tube rules.

This did come from a specialty shop, but I'm sure I've seen it at my supermarket as well. Try it out if you can find it, and let me know if you agree!

4 comments:

  1. I hope those start showing up at my grocery store! I picked one up in a specialty place too and was heartbroken when it was all gone. So smart! ATM I am sure I have leftover tomato paste in my freezer somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past I do up tomato paste into little squeeze balls size. My MiL taught me a need trick, to put it into some saran wrap, twist it closed, and then add another so you have this long "line" of tomato paste "twists". When you need one you simply peel the plastic back and squeeze it into your recipe. It of course only works for stews, chili, sauces etc. I like this idea & have seen it at the Italian shop on George @ William in the market, just never bought it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kenora, thank you for the idea. In the past, I've resorted to buying two brands of paste - el cheapo to have the remains tossed, and the better brand for when the whole can is used. I think I need to find the tubes...

    @Jenn - do you freeze the saran wrapped bits?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you really do use tomato paste by mere spoonfuls at a time, and if you really are going to use up the tube within 45 days after opening*, then tubes are definitely a useful product.

    I first saw tomato paste in tubes a bunch of years ago (I live in the Washington, DC metropolitan area, and it's now commonly found in ordinary grocery stores down here). I bought one on spec because the concept seemed useful, but it really isn't for my cooking habits. Generally when I need tomato paste, I really do need an entire can, and sometimes I need the larger 10 oz. can.

    I only used that tube once and ended up throwing it out in a fridge-cleaning spree a couple of years later. If I recall correctly, the tube cost me about $1.75USD back when you could still get 6 oz. cans 4 for $1.00USD, so there wasn't any cost savings at all for choosing the tube over a can. If I'm going to end up throwing something out, I'd rather it be a 50-cent can than a $2.50 tube. :-/

    * Suggested timeframe per the faq from the brand most commonly available in my area: http://www.amorebrand.com/faq

    ReplyDelete